Current:Home > InvestNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -WealthDrive Solutions
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:44:27
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (23)
Related
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Valerie Bertinelli re-wears her 'fat clothes' from weight loss ad: 'Never felt more beautiful'
- A teenager has been indicted in the shooting deaths of his sister-in-law and 2 young nephews
- Arizona to cancel leases allowing Saudi-owned farm access to state’s groundwater
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- 'The Voice': Niall Horan wins over 4-chair singer Laura Williams with fake marriage proposal
- Amid conservative makeover, New College of Florida sticks with DeSantis ally Corcoran as president
- Student activists are pushing back against big polluters — and winning
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Cats among mammals that can emit fluorescence, new study finds
Ranking
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- FCC fines Dish Network $150,000 for leaving retired satellite too low in space
- Wednesday's emergency alert may be annoying to some. For abuse victims, it may be dangerous
- There was power loss before plane crash that killed ex-NFL player Russ Francis, investigator says
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Jamie Lynn Spears eliminated in shocking 'Dancing With the Stars' Week 2. What just happened?
- Child care programs just lost thousands of federal dollars. Families and providers scramble to cope
- Gov. Glenn Youngkin's PAC raises over $4 million in 48 hours from billionaire donors
Recommendation
'Most Whopper
Russia says it has foiled a major Ukrainian drone attack as concerns grow about weapons supplies
Victoria Beckham Breaks Silence on David Beckham's Alleged Affair
‘Tennessee Three’ Democrat sues over expulsion and House rules that temporarily silenced him
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Wisconsin Senate Republicans vote to reject commissioner who backed disputed top elections official
Watch Gwen Stefani’s Reaction to Niall Horan’s Hilarious Impression of Blake Shelton
Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker calls migrant influx untenable, intensifying Democratic criticism of Biden policies